Solar Energy is directly derived from the sun’s rays and converted into electric energy through chemical reactions. To save electricity now, people are diverted into fixing solar panels to collect and use solar energy in offices and households. As the sun produces the most amount of energy but as soon as it reaches the earth, it deteriorates to half. These solar panels help it get collected in one place through which it transfers energy into renewal.
These are considered the purest form of energy as they save electricity by converting the energy via different methods, which helps control global warming. As long as the sun is there, an adequate amount of energy can be stored.
Table of Contents
Top 10 countries that generated the most number of solar plants (approx.):
Solar Panels and Photovoltaic Cells
The panels that are made to trap solar energy are usually made of silicon. These are placed outside on the rooftop where it is easy to trap sunlight, after which photovoltaic cells create electrons from the sun rays that have been collected.
Through the circuits, this energy passes and creates electricity. They can be used in multiple ways as they are stored in batteries. There are three kinds of solar panels available, which are as follows:
- Solar cell panels
- Solar electric panels
- PV modules
Solar Energy Systems
Solar energy is also called electromagnetic radiation; the earth gets enough sunrays to collect it. A set-up of cells is created and arranged that helps in converting the energy into electricity.
The entire system uses solar panels that are designed with the help of photovoltaic cells. Here are the ingredients of solar energy systems that we can look into:
- Solar charge controller
- Electrical wiring
- Solar panels
- Racking and mounting
- Utility grid connection
Solar Energy Generation
With the support of photovoltaic cells, the solar power system uses reflecting devices like lenses and mirrors to focus the sunlight into specific areas that increase the temperature, which helps in producing steam and generating electricity.
It is also used in solar pump equipment for telephone and communication navigation, which requires a continuous power supply. It helps the power supply remotely, like in ships.
Advantages of Solar Energy
There are multiple advantages that we have listed here:
- Best for the environment: It has very marginal to zero greenhouse gas emissions, which helps in less pollution to spread in the air and helps in aiding climate change.
- Low cost: The panels only require a little maintenance regularly. The only inspection that is required to be done is cleaning of the grids. It has no parts that go through any technical failure.
- Long lifespan: The panels fixed on the rooftop are workable for 20 to 30 years. It comes with a warranty that ensures performance for an extended period.
- Technology advancement: Since the time investment has increased in solar technology, it has increased the efficiency and decreased the cost, which makes it more accessible to people.
This refers to a situation of a country, community, individual, or region that is energy self-sufficient. Here are the examples:
- Environmental benefits
- Reduce dependence on imported energy
- Energy security
- Technological innovation
- Diversification of energy sources
- This is an agreement given to the owners of solar panels to receive a certain amount for creating excess electricity they create and get into the grid.
- The credits that they have received can be used to offset the electricity costs.
Solar Incentives and Rebates
The government and other organizations offer these rebates and financial incentives to encourage solar energy. This helps in the reduction of installation of the panels, which helps in making them more available to households and organizations. Here are some of the types:
- Local utility rebates
- Federal investment tax credit
- Net metering programs
- Property tax exemption
- Solarize programs
- Feed-in Tariffs
- Agricultural and rural solar incentives
Solar Panel Installation
Here are the following procedures to install:
- The area is to be inspected first, like the location and shading of the roof.
- According to that, the solar panels will be designed according to the amount of panels required.
- Solar panels, inverters, mounting, and other necessary equipment should be arranged.
- The installation procedure is done in three steps: Mounting, electrical wiring, inverter installation, and safety and quality check.
Solar Energy in Developing Countries
Solar energy holds a valuable position in developing countries. Here are some positive impacts:
- Electrification of remote access
- Clean water
- Economic development
- Energy security
- Community ownership
Challenges of Solar Energy
Here are some of the challenges of solar energy:
- Limited storage: The batteries can contain a certain amount of energy for a particular time.
- Policy regulatory barriers: The government must keep the policies in check; otherwise, it may hinder the adoption of solar energy.
Here are the technological advancements that have been made over the years, which have led to increased efficiency.
- Thin-film solar cells
- Concentration photovoltaics
- Improve solar cell efficiency
Here are the environmental impacts of solar energy:
- End-of-life disposal: If the solar panels are not disposed of properly, it can create a huge environmental challenge. It can be combated by recycling.
- Manufacturing emissions: The manufacturing of solar panels can create greenhouse gas emissions.
Solar Energy and Climate Change
Here are the impact of solar energy on climate change
- Clearly energy transition
- Mitigating global energy
- Energy independence
Future of Solar Energy
Here are the future of solar energy:
- Environmental awareness
- Policy support
- Economic growth and job creation
What are the different types of solar energy?
Can solar energy work on cloudy days?
They are less functional but still function
How long do solar panels work?